57 of recorded cases come from Davao City
The Davao Region has recorded nearly 70 cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), according to health officials.
As of Thursday, 69 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in the region, 57 of which come from Davao City, the Department of Health – Region 11 said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Davao del Norte has 6 cases, while Davao Oriental has 3. Davao del Sur also has 2 COVID-19 patients, while Davao de Oro has one.
Davao Occidental remains free of the virus, the health department said.
Of the recorded cases in the region, 9 of them have died, all from Davao City. Two of the fatalities had traveled to Metro Manila, one of the places in the Philippines severely hit by COVID-19.
At least 18 patients have recovered, while 34 others are under treatment.
Dr. Lenny Joy Rivera, assistant regional director of DOH – Region 11, said they are expecting a surge of COVID-19 cases in the region in the next 2 weeks.
However, she said cases of the virus in Davao Region may fall before the end of April due to the looming implementation in enhanced community quarantine in the area.
“Makikita natin tataas siya expected to see more of this na made-detect natin by second week of April, pero tinitignan natin na because of the enhanced community quarantine it means male-less na po ang contact sa isa’t isa. Infection rate will be less,” she said.
Earlier in the day, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, chairman of the region's Task Force COVID-19, said the region will be placed under enhanced community quarantine beginning Saturday afternoon.