Fisherman with amputated leg walks entire stretch of EDSA in trek to Subic

2 years ago 0 Comments

Amid the looming threat of Typhoon Ambo and the novel coronavirus pandemic, a fisherman with a broken leg and his friends chose to walk several miles to get home.

Jerry Muhammarin and three of his friends got stuck in Cavite because of the lockdown.

Muhammarin is originally from Subic, Zambales while the other three are from Angeles, Pampanga.

They all went to Cavite last March looking for work.

Muhammarin badly needed money to pay for the graduation expenses of his eldest child, saying his income as a fisherman was not enough to cover the costs.

"Namalimos ako. Gusto ko kasi mapaghandaan​ graduation ng anak ko. Sa paghahangad ko na maging maganda graduation ng anak ko, inabutan ako ng lockdown," he said.

Things took a turn for the worse because instead of sending the measly amount he saved back to his family, he had to spend it for his living expenses in Cavite.

Muhammarin did not qualify for cash assistance from the government as he is not a Cavite resident and his wife is a 4Ps beneficiary.

"Mahirap talaga, wala na ako pera. Di na kaya. Kahit pambili ko ng sabon, wala," he added.

Watch more in iWant or

Such was also the case for his friends Roger, Maria, and Ajma Usman.

The three tried their luck selling accessories such as earrings and bracelets in Dasmarinas, Cavite but because the lockdown, they were forced to stay in the house of a friend, who generously helped them with their everyday needs.

"Nahihiya na kami kasi ginagastusan nila kami doon, 'yung nakukuha nilang ayuda, binibigay na lang nila sa amin," Roger said.

Roger and Maria desperately wanted to see their son and grandchildren back home to check if everything's alright.

Because of the increasing anxiety and piling costs, the four decided to go home, against the odds of checkpoints and lack of public transportation.

A friend let the group borrow a van so they can get back home from Cavite to Angeles and Subic.

But the van was flagged down and was barred from entering Coastal Road because their travel pass only stated they were Pasay-bound, with no definite destination.

They got off at Zapote and walked all the way to Baclaran. From there, they decided to just walk.

The group spent more than 14 hours of walking until they got to Quezon Avenue, where they spent the night under the flyover to get some rest and eat rice, sardines, and uncooked noodles.

It was particularly challenging for Muhammarin who is an amputee.

He traversed the long stretch of EDSA aided by crutches.

"Mahirap, masakit na nga likod ko kakalakad, pero tiisin ko para sa pamilya ko." he said.

With the upcoming storm which heavily threatened their safety, ABS-CBN decided to bring them home.

All four got home to their families safe.

"Tuwang tuwa po ako. Nawala na ang pagod ko." Roger said, upon seeing his grandchildren eager for their return.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Aplikasi UP Station
telah tersedia sekarang
Buka Artikel
Download Aplikasi