MANILA – Colleges and universities in areas under modified general community quarantine are now allowed to hold mass gatherings at a limited capacity, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Saturday.
In a press briefing aired on state television, Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force on COVID-19 response amended guidelines following a meeting Friday, with such mass gatherings subject to minimum health standards.
"Pinapayagan na ang mass gatherings sa higher educational institutions ngunit kailangan silang sumunod sa ilalim ng existing guidelines ng MGCQ," Roque said.
(We are allowing mass gatherings in higher educational institutions. However, they will have to comply with existing guidelines under the MGCQ.)
The MGCQ, one of the lowest restriction levels set by the government for its coronavirus response, allows mass gatherings in the entertainment and leisure sector provided that participants "shall be limited to 50 percent of the seating or venue capacity."
Mass gatherings in higher educational institutions were previously prohibited prior to the IATF's announcement.
In the same briefing, Roque also said the task force has allowed the operation of technical-vocational education and training programs of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority in areas under general community quarantine.
However, face-to-face training programs will only be allowed in areas under MGCQ at 50 percent site capacity.
Face-to-face learning in basic education facilities has been barred by the government under lockdown protocols, with the opening of classes in public schools pushed to August under "blended learning" methods which mix online and offline remote teaching.